Vermont gained the second most construction-related jobs in November, but still ranks only 45th in the nation over the last year. Construction employment expanded in 20 states between October and November, while the list of states with year-over-year construction job gains grew to 13 states plus the District of Columbia, the Associated General Contractors of America reported in an analysis of state employment data released today by the Labor Department. The new figures continue a year-long pattern of mixed results in construction employment as overall demand remains weak, association officials noted.‘It is encouraging that the number of states adding jobs year-over-year was higher in November than at any time since February 2008,’ said Ken Simonson, the association’s chief economist. ‘However, the data also make clear that these gains are as spotty as they are tenuous.’Simonson noted, for example, that California had the largest monthly increase in construction employment’adding 7,800 jobs’but also the largest 12-month drop’36,900 jobs, or 6.4 percent. New Jersey and New York had the next-highest number of construction job gains in November with 4,500. New Jersey also led the nation in monthly percentage gains (3.7 percent), followed by Vermont (3.4 percent, 400 jobs) and Maine (2.5 percent, 600 jobs).The largest year-over-year percentage gains occurred in Oklahoma (9.2 percent, 6,100 jobs), New Hampshire (6.7 percent, 1,500 jobs) and Kansas (4.7 percent, 2,700 jobs). Texas had the largest increase in the number of construction employees (13,400 jobs, 2.4 percent).Washington had the largest number of monthly job losses (4,200 jobs), followed by Utah (2,400 jobs) and North Carolina (2,300). In November, employment shrank in 29 states and held steady in D.C. and Alaska.On a year-over-year basis, the largest losses were in California (36,900 jobs, -6.4 percent), Nevada (16,600 jobs, -22.0 percent’the steepest percentage decline) and Florida (12,900 jobs, -3.6 percent). Other large year-over-year percentage declines occurred in Idaho (-15.5 percent, 5,100 jobs) and Montana (-11.2 percent, 2,700 jobs). In all, 36 states lost construction jobs over the past 12 months, while construction employment was unchanged in Massachusetts.Association officials cautioned that construction employment figures were likely to fluctuate and possibly drop over the coming months as many stimulus-funded projects begin to wind down and private-sector demand remains weak. They added that newly passed legislation that prevented steep tax increases, including for many small construction firms, will help boost overall economic activity and could drive new demand for construction later next year.‘The tax bill is a step in the right direction because it will revitalize the economy and help boost private-sector construction demand,’ said Stephen E. Sandherr, the association’s chief executive officer. ‘But Congress still needs to act on long-delayed infrastructure bills and provide businesses with relief from an increasingly costly regulatory burden.View construction employment figures by state and by rank.
The Istiqlal Mosque renovation project will include the construction of an underground tunnel to be called the “brotherhood tunnel” that will connect the mosque with the Jakarta Cathedral across the road in Central Jakarta, President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo has said.“There was a suggestion to build a tunnel from Istiqlal Mosque to the cathedral and I have agreed. It will be a tunnel of brotherhood,” Jokowi said after reviewing the progress of the renovations on Friday, as stated in a media statement released by the State Secretariat.Located across the road from each other, the relationship between Istiqlal Mosque and the Jakarta Cathedral has been praised by many, as the managements of each house of worship regularly provide parking spaces for each other during religious celebrations including Idul Fitri and Christmas. The renovation of Istiqlal Mosque began in May last year. The building is an important cultural heritage site and hosts many of the city’s religious and social activities.Jokowi said the renovation would be biggest made to the mosque in 41 years and would cost Rp 475 billion (US$34 million), although he did not specify how much would be spent on the construction of the tunnel.The renovation, carried out by the Public Works and Housing Ministry, includes improving the building’s interior and exterior in accordance to a master plan.“There will also be landscaping [around the mosque]. The river that runs through the complex will be improved, as will the park,” Jokowi said.Two stories of underground parking will also be built to increase the mosque’s parking capacity from 500 cars and motorcycles to approximately 745 vehicles.Jokowi expressed hope the renovations would be completed before Ramadan this year.“We hope it will all be finished in April,” he said.Topics :
Associated Press May 28, 2020 The Latest: 1st test at Bologna negative for coronavirus The Dutch Grand Prix has become the fourth Formula One race to be canceled this season.Organizers of the first Dutch GP in 35 years preferred to wait until next year in hope fans will be able to attend, rather than hold the race without them this time.The race in Zandvoort was set for May 3 and initially postponed.Race director Jan Lammers says “we would like to celebrate this moment, the return of Formula 1 in Zandvoort, together with our racing fans in the Netherlands.”The other races canceled were the season-opening Australian GP on March 15; the Monaco GP on May 24; and the French GP on June 28. Club Brugge has the opportunity to secure a league-cup double after it was awarded its 16th Belgian title this month following a decision to end the current season prematurely because of the coronavirus pandemic.All sporting competitions in Belgium have been suspended until July 31. The new season is set to start on Aug. 7.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6 The club says that a “further, definitive test” will be carried out in the next few hours.The players will nevertheless train individually as a precaution.It would be the first positive case in Serie A since the teams started training in groups if it is confirmed. The entire squad would have to go into quarantine.Serie A has been suspended since March 9 because of the coronavirus pandemic. The league is hoping to restart on June 13.___ Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___Bologna says a test carried out on a member of its staff who was suspected of having coronavirus has come back negative. Another six remain postponed.F1 organizers still hope to reschedule those and hold 15-18 races this season, starting with back-to-back races at the Austrian GP in July.___The postponed Belgian Cup final has been rescheduled for Aug. 1. That is one week before the start of the league’s next season.Belgian soccer authorities say the match between Club Brugge and Antwerp will take place in an empty King Baudouin Stadium.
by Tracy McCue, Sumner Newscow â€” The following are a list of criminal court complaints recently filed by the Sumner County Attorney’s office.These are formal charges introduced into the Sumner County District Court system. The suspects listed in the complaint have not been tried by a judge or jury. All citizens are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.â€¢â€¢â€¢â€¢â€¢Christopher Nickum, born in 1978, of Oxford was charged with domestic battery, a Class B misdemeanor; robbery, a level 5 felony; domestic battery, a Class B misdemeanor; and theft, a Class A misdemeanor. Nickum is accused on March 20, 2014, of pushing a household member off a porch causing her to drop her phone. When she allegedly picked up the phone, he used force to take the phone away and threw it into a nearby field.Allegedly, Nickum then returned from the field and angrily argued with the household member. He then allegedly started for a truck even though the complaint said he was intoxicated and had no license. When the household member regained control of her phone, Nickum is accused of then angrily pushing her to the ground.He then allegedly took the household memberâ€™s wedding rings without permission and threw them into the river.â€¢â€¢â€¢â€¢â€¢Cy Christopher Olivas, born in 1991, of Caldwell was charged with two alternative counts of domestic battery, a Class C misdemeanor and endangering a child, a Class A misdemeanor.Olivas is accused of slapping a household member several times over an argument over a car. He allegedly took his 1-year-old from her mother while being intoxicated and said he was keeping their children until he got his car back and instructed her to go get the car immediately.His court deposition is set for April 10.â€¢â€¢â€¢â€¢â€¢Joshua Wood, born in 1975, of Haysville was charged with criminal possession of a firearm by a convicted felony, a level 8 felony; and interference with law enforcement, a Class A misdemeanor.On March 7, 2014 Wood is accused of unlawfully possessing a .380 automatic handgun underneath his car seat in the vehicle he parked at Caseyâ€™s General Store West in Wellington after being convicted of a felony and released from prison.He also allegedly used false information to describe a passenger in his car, Lisa Shanahan, as Lisa Garland knowing she had an active arrest warrant against her.â€¢â€¢â€¢â€¢â€¢Matthew Golden, born in 1985, of Wellington was charged with possession of marijuana, a Class A misdemeanor; and two counts of possession of drug paraphernalia, and Class A misdemeanors.Golden is accused of possessing a baggy of marijuana in his pocket and having more marijuana in a black and yellow duffel bag which he left in another personâ€™s apartment. He also allegedly had a small glass smoking pipe with white residue on it in his pocket and drug paraphernalia, scales, grinder and a long style smoking devise in his bag.â€¢â€¢â€¢â€¢â€¢Glenda Miller, born in 1965, of Oklahoma City, Okla. was charged with DUI, her fourth offense, an unclassified felony; and driving while revoked, a Class A misdemeanor.Miller is accused of on March 24, 2014 at about 3:24 a.m. of driving in the cemetery. When stopped she allegedly said she came from I-35 from Moore, Okla. and was out for a drive but was lost in Wellington. She submitted to a preliminary breath test showing a reading of .228 which was beyond the drinking limit.â€¢â€¢â€¢â€¢â€¢Ardell Donnell, born in 1990, of Angelton, Texas, was charged with unlawful use of driverâ€™s license, a Class A misdemeanor.â€¢â€¢â€¢â€¢â€¢Kerry Anderson, born in 1961, of Wichita was charged with three counts of theft, level 9 felonies.Anderson is accused of unlawfully obtaining a P.J. Brand 5â€™ x10â€™ dump bed trailer worth $4,000 with intent of depriving owner Scoular Grain Co. by removing the trailer from the grain company near Wellington without permission.He is also accused of taking a white, 16-foot enclosed trailer worth about $3,000 and about 30 blankets and a two-wheeler moving dolly from McAlister Transportation Co. and a utility trailer worth less than $1,000 from Charland Samona, without permission.â€¢â€¢â€¢â€¢â€¢Shawn Bartonek, born in 1987, of Conway Springs was charged with failure to use signal turn, a traffic infraction; possession of marijuana – a second offense, a level 5 drug felony; and possession of drug paraphernalia, a Class A misdemeanor.Bartonek is accused on March 16, 2014 of turning a vehicle from 4th Street onto Parallel Street in Conway Springs without giving an appropriate signal. When stopped, Bartonek allegedly had a small quantity of marijuana in a blur grinder underneath the driverâ€™s seat and residue in a green and white glass pipe underneath the passenger seat.His court deposition is set for May 1, 2014.â€¢â€¢â€¢â€¢â€¢Henry Figures, born in 1976, of Wichita was charged with disorderly conduct, a Class C misdemeanor; assault of a law enforcement officer, a Class A misdemeanor; interference with law enforcement, a Class A misdemeanor; and battery of a law enforcement officer, a Class A misdemeanor.Figures is accused of approaching a confrontation between his wife, who is black; and another patron who is white by exclaiming â€œIâ€™m going to kick this white bâ€”- ass!â€He was also accused of threatening an enforcement agent with the Kansas Racing and Gaming Commission. When told he was under arrest he allegedly took off running and when he was caught he resisted being handcuffed.Figures is also accused of hitting the agentâ€™s arm with his left fist when he was being handcuffed.His court deposition is set for May 8, 2014.