Granger expresses fear

first_imgUpon receipt of CoI report of alleged assassination plot… says his office, family members must be protectedBy Shemuel FanfairAs President David Granger received the report on the Commission of Inquiry (CoI) into an alleged assassination plot against him, he said he feared for his office, telling reporters that the First Lady and members of his immediate family should also be protected against any security threats.CoI Chairman Paul Slowe shakes the hand of President Granger as Minister of State Joseph Harmon looks on (Carl Croker photo)“I am fearful for the office of the Presidency; I think that the office of the President is one that should enjoy the protection of the security services and any reports of threats or any risk against the President’s life or the lives of the immediate relatives of the President including the First Lady or the President’s children deserve to be properly and thoroughly investigated.President David Granger made these comments at a handing over ceremony at State House where he received the report from CoI Chairman, retired Assistant Police Commissioner Paul Slowe. The Chairman, who was appointed in July 2017, was tasked to inquire into the persons, places, time, circumstances and events by and through which allegations came to be made of an intention or a plan to assassinate the President of the Cooperative Republic of Guyana. The report will include the Commission’s findings as well as offer recommendations.Reporters questioned President Granger over possible fears for his personal safety and the fact the accused persons were released by Police.The President however indicated that he will wait to assess the Commission’s findings and hold consultations with his Cabinet before he makes any pronouncements on the matter.“It is good practice to ensure that the President is safe and if there is a threat to that safety, it should be investigated,” the President affirmed.Commissioner Slowe spoke briefly to media operatives after presenting his findings.He categorised the Commission’s work as a very “involved and lengthy process” in which enough evidence and witness statements were provided to meet the requirements as set out when he was first installed to investigate the alleged plot.The CoI sought to find out whether or not the Police conducted sufficient investigations into the allegations and threats to assassinate the President of the day and to ascertain if the Police had knowledge of the plot before, and what actions were taken after the receipt of that information.The inquiry further sought to establish whether there was neglect or omission to thoroughly investigate the plot to assassinate the President and determine whether such failure or omission was intentional. It also sought to recommend suitable prevention measures to thwart future occurrences.“The Terms of Reference spoke of diligence and thoroughness and all of those things, I think I attempted to answer fully,” Commissioner Slowe stated on Thursday.Though the Chairman was tight-lipped on whether or not he recommended disciplinary action on any Police rank involved in the investigation, the media was informed that after the President reviews the report, it will be made public. Several senior ranks had testified before the CoI.It was earlier this year that Andriff Gillard alleged that businessman Nizam Khan offered to pay him $7 million to kill President Granger sometime in 2015; an allegation that Khan denied.The CoI had heard that Police Commissioner Seelall Persaud, while on leave, had ordered the release of businessman Khan – the accused plotter; his brother, Imran Khan, and the complainant – Andrif Gillard in March. Acting Police Commissioner David Ramnarine claimed that a proper investigation was not carried out. He had also agreed that the Police probe was lethargic and noted that he could not have defended the Guyana Police Force.Police Legal Advisor, Retired Justice Claudette Singh said that in her view, the matter was not treasonous while the mental state of the accuser, Gillard was questioned during the course of the CoI.last_img read more

Thousands head to Chula Vistas Christmas Circle

first_img Posted: December 11, 2018 Thousands head to Chula Vista’s Christmas Circle December 11, 2018 KUSI Newsroom, 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek  . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) – Every year thousands of people head to the Chula Vista Christmas Circle, where dozens of bedazzled homes glow during the holiday season.Christmas Circle is a 61-year-old tradition and neighborhood’s Judy Sullivan says the decorating started with military families hanging lights from tree to tree all around the block.christmas Circle is located at Whitney Street off Mankato between 1st and 2nd Ave (off H Street).center_img KUSI Newsroom Updated: 7:27 PM Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitterlast_img read more

Defense Committees Kick off Negotiations over Authorization Bill

first_img Dan Cohen AUTHOR Despite sizable differences between two competing versions of the annual defense policy bill, the leaders of the House and Senate Armed Services Committee on Wednesday expressed confidence they would find a middle ground, following the initial meeting of the conference committee.Still, the lawmakers did not shy away from the major difference they will need to reconcile — an $18 billion discrepancy between the two fiscal 2017 defense authorization bills.The House version uses $18 billion from DOD’s overseas contingency operations (OCO) account to fund base budget items not requested by the Obama administration. As a result, funding for overseas operations would run out by the end of April, forcing the next administration to request supplemental funding. The Senate version does not rely on the OCO account, but Senate Armed Services Chair John McCain (R-Ariz.) has repeatedly said the military needs more funding to restore shortfalls in readiness.“I didn’t see a major stumbling block, except the issues of sequestration, which we have not found a way through yet, but we have just begun,” McCain said, reported Defense News.“I don’t know the way through it now, but we always seem to get through it,” McCain said after the press conference, which featured his House counterpart and the two committees’ senior Democrats.But with increased demands on the military in Europe, the Middle East and Afghanistan, the need to find a way around the statutory limit on defense spending has only become more urgent, he said. “All of those cost money, and the administration has not come over with an additional funding request for those, much less the $18 billion issue that we’re also facing,” McCain said.Adam Smith (D-Wash.), ranking member on House Armed Services, echoed McCain’s concern about funding.“There is that need, there isn’t the money, and each of the four committees has taken a different swing at that, and the White House as well,” Smith said, referring to the two chambers’ appropriations and Armed Services committees. “Figuring out the money is the most important part of our negotiations,” he said.last_img read more

10 more quota reformists freed from jail

first_img.Ten leaders and activists of the movement for quota reform, all accused in cases filed with Shahbagh police station, were released from jail on Tuesday, continuing the easing of the government’s hardline stance against dissenters, reports UNB.Those released were accused in various cases over vandalism, assaulting and preventing police from discharging their duties.Six of the released students, who were vocal under the banner of the Bangladesh General Students’ Right Protection Council, are its convener Hasan Al Mamun, joint convener Mojammel Niazi, members Faruk Hossain, Rashed Khan, Moshiur Rahman, and Atikur Rahman, of Dhaka University; Jashim Uddin and Shakhawat of Gazipur National University; and Masud Sardar and Sohel Islam of Rajshahi University and Chittagong University respectively.They were released from Dhaka central jail around12:00pm, said Mahbubur Rahman, jailer of the central jail.Earlier on Monday, separate courts granted bail to 32 university students, including now released Rashed Khan, who were accused in separate cases filed over violence during the back-to-back student movements demanding quota reform and safe roads.The government has in principle agreed with both groups’ demands and advanced legislation towards one.last_img read more