He was fleeing from Whittier police on Nov. 25, when his pickup truck entered Bloomfield and Florence avenues in unincorporated Whittier and slammed into the driver’s side of a Honda Accord carrying 20-year-old Rosanna Garcia. Court records identified her as Rosanne Garcia. Garcia later died of her injuries at St. Francis Medical Center. Brooker allegedly told investigators he was on parole and fled because he did not want to go back to jail. California Highway Patrol officers alleged Brooker was drunk and has a prior conviction for DUI. In the early hours of Nov. 25, Whittier officers responded to a call about a shooting in the parking lot of Se or Charlie’s Sports Bar and Grill in the 9800 block of Santa Fe Springs Road and saw the pickup driving off. Officers chased the truck as it went south on Santa Fe Springs Road, which becomes Bloomfield Avenue. Officers said the truck was speeding and went through several red lights before it slammed into Garcia’s car. firstname.lastname@example.org (626) 962-8811, Ext. 2718 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! WHITTIER – A preliminary hearing was continued Wednesday for an El Monte man accused of killing a South Whittier woman when his pickup truck crashed into her car during a police pursuit. William Brooker, 27, was ordered to return to Whittier Court on May 2. His defense attorneys asked that the hearing be continued because they had not received a report from the coroner’s office as of Wednesday. “We should be able to go forward with the preliminary hearing at the next date,” said Stephen Rodriguez Jr., one of Brooker’s lawyers. “It’s just a terrible tragedy for everyone involved.” Brooker has already pleaded not guilty to charges of murder, driving under the influence causing injury, leaving the scene of an accident, reckless driving with great bodily injury and driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREBlues bury Kings early with four first-period goals Officials said the number of calls to 311 jumped more than 60 percent to 599,608 last fiscal year, while the number of 911 calls fell 5 percent to 1.76 million last year. “We are taking credit for some of that reduction,” said David Dizon, director of the city’s 311 system. “(Still), it would be very hard for us to actually make a firm, definitive calculation on that because the LAPD has said during that period of time there was a reduction in crime so that would also attribute to a reduction in calls to 911.” The California Highway Patrol, whose communications center in Los Angeles handles 911 calls from cell phones, saw its 911 calls drop 15 percent to 1.07 million in the first 10 months of this year. CHP spokeswoman Rebecca Estrada said the drop was mainly because many police departments also began to accept 911 cellular calls. But she said officials are examining whether the MTA’s #399 roadside assistance line helped reduce nonemergency cellular calls to 911. The #399 number, launched by the MTA on July 1, allows motorists traveling Los Angeles County freeways to use their cell phones to get roadside assistance from their auto clubs or the Metro Freeway Service Patrol. Three new telephone help lines for residents and motorists may be achieving one of the primary goals officials had in mind: freeing up 911 lines for true emergencies. With many callers to 911 ending up on hold because of the high volume of calls, local governments and the Metropolitan Transportation Authority in recent years launched a smorgasbord of alternate lines such as 211, 311 and #399. While officials said there are no definitive data showing the lines are contributing to a drop in 911 calls, the numbers are encouraging. The city of Los Angeles launched its 311 local government services line in November 2002, offering to help refer residents to appropriate city agencies for help with such things as graffiti removal and bulk-item pickup. “At this point, we are still evaluating the whole #399 impact on 911 cellular routing,” Estrada said. “We don’t have numbers to stipulate whether it’s making a difference or not.” Also in July, county government launched its 211 line to help connect people with 28,000 health and social service programs and help reduce nonemergency calls to 911. In July 2004, INFO LINE Los Angeles – which changed its name to 211 LA County in July – received 22,806 calls. During its launch in July, the service received 32,195 calls; last month, it received 31,027. “It will pick up again this month due to holiday calling,” said Maribel Marin, executive director of 211 LA County. “There will be food banks, soup kitchens and those kinds of special programs they have for the holidays. “We are dealing with people in crisis, people who are homeless, about to become homeless, who are unemployed and people who have had some tragedy in the family or some dire crisis.” Thomas Prigatano, 911 coordinator and a public safety dispatch supervisor at the CHP’s Los Angeles Communications Center, said he believes the county’s 211 line has reduced some calls to 911. “If I was driving down the road with an incorrigible child and wanted the number to social services and couldn’t find it in the directory because I’m so upset, at one time I would call 911,” Prigatano said. “211 mitigates that by having all those social services operators.” Troy Anderson, (213) 974-8985 email@example.com 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!