TORONTO — Another price hike is on the way for Netflix Canada subscribers as competition heats up among the biggest streaming video services.The company behind “Narcos” and “Orange Is the New Black” is introducing its biggest price increase yet for both new subscribers and current members.Netflix’s standard plan will now cost $3 more — or $13.99 a month — to watch content on two screens at a time.Bell doubles down on Crave with soft rebrand, premium service that includes current HBO contentBell Media opens gates to HBO content, Hollywood movies under new Crave packageNetflix adds to growing debt pile with $2-billion bond issue to fund new showsThe basic plan — which does not offer high-definition video and only allows one stream — rises a dollar to $9.99 a month.Premium plan subscribers pay $3 more — or $16.99 a month — for up to four simultaneous streams and ultra high definition 4K video.Netflix says the higher prices are effective immediately for new subscribers, while existing users will be notified by email before their bills rise in the coming weeks.The company most recently increased prices for most plans by a dollar about a year and a half ago.Netflix says the move will help fund upcoming TV series and films as well as overall improvements to the Netflix platform.But the company also faces intense competition next year as the number of streaming platforms in the Canadian marketplace with attractive offerings grows.Earlier this month, Bell Media introduced a higher tier of its Crave streaming service that includes a selection of recent Hollywood movies and new HBO programs. The package, dubbed Crave+, costs about $20 per month.Next year, Disney jumps into the market with its own streaming platform. Disney+ is expected to be stocked with movies and original series like a prequel to “Star Wars: Rogue One” and a Marvel superhero show based on the character Loki from “Thor” and “The Avengers.”Other platforms could make headway too, including a new service operated by Criterion that specializes in classic films, and CBS All Access, which is beefing up its library of original shows that include “Tell Me A Story” and “Strange Angel.”
by The Associated Press Posted Dec 9, 2015 4:34 am MDT Last Updated Dec 9, 2015 at 6:20 am MDT AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email New York attorney general looking into ‘speculative’ Springsteen ticket listings NEW YORK, N.Y. – New York’s attorney general is looking into whether “speculative” ticket listings for Bruce Springsteen’s 2016 tour on ticket resale sites constitute deceptive advertising.Attorney General Eric Schneiderman sent letters Monday to StubHub, TicketNetwork and Vivid Seats asking about the practice of offering seats on secondary markets when the seller may not possess the tickets.Tickets for Springsteen’s tour don’t go on sale until Friday. But hundreds of seats have already been listed for up to $5,000 or more on resale sites.A TicketNetwork spokesman says the company has voluntarily taken down any ticket listings for the concerts until Friday. Vivid Seats says it has a goal of ensuring a positive ticket-buying experience.StubHub says it’s reviewing the letter but has no reason to believe there are “speculative tickets” on its site.