To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
The Interfaith Network for COVID-19 Response (JIC) has collaborated with entrepreneurs to aid informal workers with food packages throughout Ramadan.Through this initiative, the JIC and Entrepreneurs for Indonesia Group will distribute food packages from small enterprises under PT Harapan Bangsa Kita (Hebat) to 42,000 ride-hailing drivers, who have been affected by the pandemic. This aid will be disbursed starting from next week through the Yayasan Anak Bangsa Bisa foundation. Catholic priest Romo Johannes Harianto, who represented the network, invited the public to join the cause.Read also: https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2020/04/24/us-donates-3-million-for-covid-19-relief-to-indonesia.html” target=”_blank”>US donates $3 million for COVID-19 relief to Indonesia“Our brothers and sisters out there are experiencing difficulty throughout this trying time. We, as people with faith, should help those who are in need, especially during this holy Ramadan month,” Johannes said in a written statement received by The Jakarta Post on Tuesday.Teddy Sugianto, a representative from Entrepreneurs for Indonesia, added that this initiative aimed to gain funds to continue helping people affected by COVID-19. “This initiative is our contribution to help our friends who are observing the Ramadan month,” Teddy added. Topics :
“We have heard not only from Commission X but also from members of the public that many schools and universities, especially private ones, are hit hard during the COVID-19 pandemic,” Nadiem said during a hearing with House of Representatives Commission X, which oversees education.“So last week, we responded to these complaints by rolling out several policies as well as tangible and real aid,” he added.One new policies, for instance, allow students of state universities to either request delayed tuition payment, a reduction in fees or an instalment plan, depending on their financial situation. The ministry encourages private universities to do the same.It also stipulates that students who are on leave or not taking course credits no longer need to pay tuition fees, while those who are in their final semesters will only pay up to half of their tuition fees. Private universities, teachers and students are urging the government to step up its education policies, criticizing its latest financial assistance as inadequate to address the concerns of the education sector during the pandemic.This follows Education and Culture Minister Nadiem Makarim’s announcement on Monday about a series of measures taken to help the education sector, including by relaxing university tuition fees and requirements for school operational assistance (BOS). The National Association of University Student Executive Bodies (BEM-SI) contends that the government should have cut tuition fees across the board without the need for students to request it, saying full tuition fees were unfairly charged from students who had their courses taught online during the pandemic.Read also: University BEMs urge Nadiem to cut tuition during COVID-19 ‘study at home’ policyThe tuition fee adjustments on offer now had already existed before the pandemic but would usually require students to go through long administrative processes and often have their requests rejected, he said.“The lack of a policy to cut tuition fees could push down the participation rate in higher education,” Lugas Presma of the BEM-SI said.“And there are two possibilities: It could push up the numbers of students dropping out or taking leave or it could discourage potential new students from enrolling because of high fees.”Private Universities Association (APTISI) chairman Budi Djatmiko said that failure to cushion the COVID-19 impact on university students could result in a spike in dropouts, which could cause “a lost generation” as a result of a jeopardized education.“And that would be the government’s biggest sin,” he said.He praised the ministry’s new policy to allocate Rp 1 trillion (US$70.6 million) to help 410,000 university students, mostly in private universities, pay their tuition fees.However, the government still only allocated a small portion of its total budget for private universities, he said. The state budget only earmarked 7 percent of the total university budget for private universities, with the remaining 93 percent going to state universities, according to his calculations. In addition, only half of the overall education budget is actually allocated for educational needs.“Private universities are also part of Indonesia. So, why are they being treated differently?” he said, adding that government support for private universities was crucial to improve overall access to higher education.About 88 percent of all universities are small-sized private universities with less than 10,000 students, according to Budi, while the remaining are state universities and large private universities.Read also: Indonesian schools not ready for ‘new normal’: SurveyMeanwhile, Indonesian Teachers Association (PGRI) head Unifah Rosyidi lauded the government’s decision to include private schools in its COVID-19 policies and modify requirements for grant recipients to alleviate the burden of pandemic-hit elementary and secondary schools.Before the pandemic, BOS Afirmasi funds were only given to state schools in the underdeveloped and remote regions, while BOS Kinerja funds were given to high-performing state schools. Under the new scheme, the government gives Rp 60 million per year to more than 56,000 state and private schools in regions that are hardest-hit by COVID-19.The grants can be used to pay honorarium-based teachers, fund home-learning needs like phone credit and internet plans, buy COVID-19 sanitary goods like soap and disinfectant or pay salaries of other school workers.But Unifah said she found goods procured using BOS funds through the ministry’s electronic system called SIPLah were more expensive than the actual price and schools could only buy them at designated shops.The funds also usually need to go through multiple regional institutions before they could be used by schools, depending on each region’s financial management regulations.She advised policymakers to review how the authority to distribute BOS funds was delegated between the central and regional governments, in order to cut bureaucratic procedures and yet maintain accountability.Topics :
Advertisement Mesut Ozil has responded well to Mikel Arteta’s arrival at Arsenal (Getty Images)Mikel Arteta has already made a major impact on Mesut Ozil as the midfielder’s performances during Arsenal’s training sessions have significantly improved, according to reports.Ozil’s future at Arsenal appeared to be under threat during Unai Emery’s reign as the midfielder was used sparingly during the first half of the season.But the 31-year-old has started in all three games since Arteta took charge of the team and is set to play a key role in the second half of the Gunners’ campaign.According to ESPN, Ozil has been revitalised by the faith shown in him by Arteta and has displayed a marked improvement during training sessions.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENTThe report claims that sources inside the club describe Ozil as ‘a totally changed player’ since Arteta’s appointment and have been impressed with the midfielder’s performances in training. Comment Metro Sport ReporterSunday 5 Jan 2020 12:14 amShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link6.7kShares Mesut Ozil ‘a totally changed player’ during Mikel Arteta’s training sessions at Arsenal Advertisement Mikel Arteta views Mesut Ozil as a key part of Arsenal’s attack (AFP via Getty Images)It’s also claimed that Arteta has been quick to give Ozil specific instructions, urging the midfielder to take up ‘half spaces’ on the right side of Arsenal’s attack when they are in possession.Speaking earlier this week, Arteta made it clear that he views Ozil as a vital figure in Arsenal’s attack.‘I haven’t been surprised by Mesut’s performances because I know him well and his ability,’ said the Arsenal boss.‘But the structure has to be there to help him bring out everything he has inside.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man City‘He can’t do it all on his own. Nowadays, there are only two or three players in the world who can do that.‘I try to prepare the team with the strengths and weaknesses we have in mind. In these kind of positions Mesut can be very effective.‘Now I am hoping that he can sustain this level every three or four days and he’s putting in everything he has to try to do that.‘His physical numbers have improved so much and he’s willing every day in training.’More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing Arsenal
Illustration purposes only (Image courtesy of MOL)Law firm Mayer Brown advised CLP Power Hong Kong on the Hong Kong offshore LNG terminal project, which involves the use of floating storage and regasification unit (FSRU) technology for the first time in Hong Kong. The FSRU will receive, store, and regasify LNG into two separate subsea gas pipelines to supply natural gas to Castle Peak Power Company and Hongkong Electric, generating power for Hong Kong residents, Mayer Brown said in its statement.Mayer Brown advised CLP Power Hong Kong Limited on the FSRU charter and regasification agreements and operation and maintenance services to be provided to the offshore LNG terminal with Mitsui OSK Lines (MOL), one of the world’s largest shipping operators.MOL will be responsible for providing the operations and maintenance services of the FSRU vessel and the offshore LNG terminal.The Hong Kong offshore LNG terminal project is part of the Hong Kong government’s strategy to have 50 percent of Hong Kong’s electricity generated from natural gas beginning in 2020.
Statewide—Attorney General Curtis Hill today joined a bipartisan coalition of 46 state and territory attorneys general in calling on Facebook, Craigslist and eBay to take proactive measures against alcohol sales on their platforms that frequently violate state laws.In a letter, the attorneys general note that the 21st Amendment invests the right to regulate the sale of alcohol to each state and points out concerns that unlicensed, unregulated, and untaxed alcohol sales are taking place on digital platforms. The consumer may not know that this method of alcohol sales is illegitimate or that these black-market products could pose health risks.The letter asks Facebook, Craigslist, and eBay to take the following specific actions:Review the current content posted to the companies’ websites and remove illegal postings for the sales and/or transfer of alcohol products.Develop and deploy programming to block and prevent your platform users from violating state law by posting content for the sale and distribution of alcohol products on their websites.
Versailles, IN—Ripley County Clerk Ginger Bradford has announced that until further notice, all marriage licenses applications will be processed by appointment only. Applicants must start the application process online by going to the Clerk’s page of the county website and connecting to the state link. Once the online application is complete, applicants should call the Clerk’s office at 812-689-4783 to confirm an appointment time.For those needing copies of a marriage license for a driver’s license or insurance purposes, please call the office to make arrangements. (812-689-4783)
He added: “He has helped the team, the team has been good. The players are better. I think he came to do a job and he did. He must be happy because he won a trophy with Chelsea.” City midfielder Gareth Barry, who scored the opening goal in the victory in New York, said: “It was a great spectacle and the supporters turned out in great numbers again. “It was about something other than the result. We’ve had a great few days. “Fans here and in St Louis have watched two great games with lots of goals and lots of attacking football. “I’m not sure our defensive coach will be too happy but it is great to see games like that. “It is a massive step for Manchester City to get involved with a club in the MLS. “Nothing like that has been done before. It’s exciting times for the club.” Press Association Benitez’s tenure as interim boss ended as Chelsea completed their post-season tour of the United States with a second successive loss to Manchester City, who were 5-3 winners at Yankee Stadium in New York two days after losing 4-3 in St Louis. But countryman Torres, who captained the team in the Big Apple, said of Benitez: “He came in in a difficult situation, personally, for him with the reaction of the fans and the team were not doing well at the time. It takes a bit of time to do better but after that, at the end of the season, the team was much better than at the beginning.” Chelsea striker Fernando Torres is convinced Rafael Benitez is leaving behind a better team than the one he took over.
According to federal data Florida has processed its hundreds of thousands of new unemployment claims slower than any other state.U.S. Department of Labor figures show Florida at the bottom among all 50 states!The coronavirus outbreak has caused many to file for unemployment. Now, nearly 7 of every 8 Floridians who managed to file claims during the three weeks from mid-March until early April were waiting to have them processed.
RoJo’s back.Just five weeks after suffering a broken collarbone, junior receiver Ronald Johnson returned to practice Tuesday and is on track to play in the Notre Dame game Oct. 17.Back in action · Coming off a clavicle break, Ronald Johnson wore a non-contact yellow jersey at his first practice since suffering the injury.- Mannat Saini | Daily TrojanAfter practice, USC coach Pete Carroll gushed about having the 6-foot, 190-pound speedster back.“It’s great to have him back,” Carroll said. “He’s got great speed, great playmaking ability, knows our system so well, and he makes other guys play well and he’ll make things happen for us.”Johnson wore a yellow jersey in practice Tuesday to avoid contact, but teammates said he still made a big impact.“It was huge, just for the little time that he was out here,” freshman quarterback Matt Barkley said. “You could tell — his spirit, his way of playing — he’s back and it’s awesome.”Johnson beat the six- to eight-week prognosis for his injury, but he likely won’t be practicing fully until next Monday.“I’ve been out for like five weeks, so it feels good to be back out there running and catching and playing with the guys a little bit,” Johnson said. “I feel like I’m back.”Johnson was expected to be the Trojans’ starting flanker this season after hauling in 33 receptions for 570 yards a season ago. He’s also a team leader of sorts for USC.“It’s fun,” USC coach Pete Carroll said. “Everybody loves RoJo. He’s such a great worker and he contributes so much to the tempo of practice and the playmaking and all that.”uA few other Trojans are on the mend this week.Sophomore defensive end Armond Armstead also returned to practice Tuesday. He had missed six weeks after breaking his left foot at fall camp.Armstead had been penciled in as a starting defensive end before the injury, but he was forced to watch from the sidelines with a large boot on his foot during the team’s 4-1 start.“On X-rays you can’t even see the fracture anymore,” Armstead said. “It’s healed, so there’s not really much worry about reinjuring it.”The injury originally occurred when linebacker Shane Horton stepped on Armstead’s foot during a drill.“Armstead is scheduled to play next week, but he is further behind because he was unable to condition his lower body [while he was injured],” Carroll said. “He feels great and wants to do it, but we just gotta get him back in shape.”Junior linebacker Malcolm Smith is also healthy again. He missed the last two games with a high ankle sprain, but returned to practice Tuesday.Carroll said Smith could have played against Cal had it been an emergency situation.Added Carroll: “He’s looking like he’ll be ready to compete next week.”uAnother goal of the bye week for the Trojans is to develop the younger talent on the roster.Seven freshmen have seen playing time so far this season, but Carroll said they could have an even bigger influence.“What we’re trying to do with this bye opportunity is to give a lot of guys chances to see where they fit in,” Carroll said. “We’re trying to help the young guys elevate.”Carroll specifically highlighted a quintet of freshman — receiver De’Von Flournoy, offensive linemen Kevin Graf and John Martinez and safeties T.J. McDonald, and Jawanza Starling — as those who the coaching staff is hoping to get a good look this week.“We’re just trying to find out what they know and what they don’t know,” Carroll said. “It’s all the new guys, the young guys. We want to see how far we can take them.”uCarroll also said the kicking competition would be renewed at placekicker, with redshirt junior Joe Houston challenging the incumbent, senior Jordan Congdon.“With the kicking game, we’re opening up competition for the placekicking, just because it looks like the guys are just about neck-and-neck again,” Carroll said. “We’re gonna see that go through.”Congdon has made six of eight field goal attempts this season.