Ocean City Trolley Service Open for the Summer

first_imgThe seasonal Ocean City Trolley Service started July 1 and will operate through August 30.The service runs along the beach block of Ocean City from 59th Street to Battersea Road and provides easy access to the Ocean City Boardwalk and downtown shopping district without the hassles and cost of parking.Trolleys run in a continuous loop 15 minutes apart from 5 p.m. to midnight. Passengers can board at any corner along the route. Fares are $2.50 for adults and $1.50 for children (4 feet tall and under).Call 609-884-7392 for more information or visit gatrolley.com.last_img

Adebayor could have left – AVB

first_img Press Association The 29-year-old returned to London at the end of last month, but he has since gone back to Togo, for “personal reasons”, according to Villas-Boas. When Adebayor, who is one of the club’s top earners, comes back on Monday, he will train with the reserves. “At the moment Ade is not with us, because we have granted him authorisation to stay up until Monday in his country for personal reasons, so he’s not going to be involved against Norwich (on Saturday),” the Tottenham manager said. “Up to when I find it appropriate, he will train with the development team. “He was a couple of weeks late in relation to the rest of the team, bearing in mind his personal tragedy. So at the moment, things stand as they are.” Adebayor spoke this week about his desire to become Tottenham’s first-choice striker, but the revelation that the former Arsenal forward was free to talk to other clubs suggests he does not feature in Villas-Boas’ first-team plans. Schalke and Besiktas were interested in Adebayor and Villas-Boas confirmed he was happy to let the striker leave. “There were opportunities, yes, for him to leave,” the Spurs boss said. “But he was not interested in them, so he didn’t. “We had to think about the situation so we presented the player and his agents the situations we were presented with.” Villas-Boas insists he has no personal issue with Adebayor, who has proved a divisive figure at other clubs in the past. But when offered a chance to promise that Adebayor would play for Spurs again, Villas-Boas only responded with: “There is a possibility.” The quiet way in which he delivered the response hardly smacked of a ringing endorsement, and when Villas-Boas was asked to assess the strength of his attacking options, there was no mention of Adebayor. “We have two great goal-scorers (Soldado and Defoe),” Villas-Boas said. Tottenham host Norwich on Saturday in what will be the first match of the post Gareth Bale era. After being peppered with questions about the now Real Madrid midfielder over the entire summer, it is clear that Villas-Boas wants to forget the saga. The Portuguese responded with a very blunt “no” when asked whether he felt any emotion at seeing images of Bale train with his new team. “What we have to do is move on,” the Tottenham manager added. In reality Spurs had moved on from Bale even before he departed. The club spent in excess of £100million replacing Bale with seven new signings. Soldado, Etienne Capoue, Paulinho and Nacer Chadli signed before the season began while Vlad Chiriches, Erik Lamela and Christian Eriksen were snapped up just before the defeat at Arsenal. Villas-Boas, who was accused of making too many changes too quickly at Chelsea, admits the new signings will take time to settle in. Indeed he forgot Chiriches’ name on Thursday when listing the players he had signed. He has no doubt about the potential of the new arrivals, though. “The expectancy is these players will become world stars,” he said. Villas-Boas showered praise on Eriksen, the £11.5million signing from Ajax. The Dutch club are famous for turning raw young talent in to stars and Villas-Boas thinks Eriksen has plenty of potential to go on to be a world-beater with Tottenham. “I think what happened with Christian is a bit like that happened with like Wesley Sneijder and Rafael van der Vaart when they were at Ajax,” Villas-Boas said. “They reach a moment in their career where they become extremely important for their team and the club who goes and gets them does a great transfer move. “We expect great things of Christian Eriksen and we want to develop him into becoming that sort of important player for us as well.” Lamela and Eriksen are likely to make their full debuts against Norwich, but Chiriches will not play as Tottenham are yet to finalise a work permit for the Romanian defender. Gylfi Sigurdsson is a doubt due to a leg injury while Etienne Capoue and Aaron Lennon are out. The Tottenham manager revealed on Thursday that Adebayor has been ordered to train with the club’s reserves. Adebayor barely featured in pre-season following the £26million signing of Roberto Soldado and he was then given extra time off following the death of his brother in Togo. Andre Villas-Boas admits he was happy to let Emmanuel Adebayor leave Tottenham this summer.last_img read more

The Latest: Italian and Catalan MotoGP races postponed

first_img April 7, 2020 The country is expected to remain under lockdown until April 26.Javier Tebas says other scenarios are also being studied. They include having the European competitions restarting only by the end of June and not conflicting with the domestic leagues.Tebas says it is very likely the league will restart with games in empty stadiums and that matches in venues with reduced capacity will also eventually be an option.The league president says it has been “impossible” to reach a deal with players on the salary reductions needed to reduce the financial impact of the crisis but he expects the majority of the clubs to reach agreements with players.___ Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___The Italian and Catalan MotoGP races have been postponed because of the coronavirus outbreak. South Korea’s professional baseball league says it hopes to start practice games between teams on April 21 before possibly opening the season in early May.The Korea Baseball Organization says the plans are contingent on the country’s coronavirus caseload continuing to slow.The KBO will advise players to wear face masks in locker rooms and require them to download smartphone apps to report their daily health status to league officials.South Korea reported 47 new cases for the second consecutive day as infections continued to wane in the worst-hit city of Daegu. Those are the smallest daily jumps since Feb. 20. The country was reporting about 500 new cases per day in early March.But there’s still concern over infections linked to passengers arriving from overseas. The motorcycling series has yet to start its season. Eight MotoGP races have now been called off because of the virus.The Italian Grand Prix was scheduled for May 31 at the Mugello Circuit and would have been followed the next weekend by the race at the Circuit de Catalunya in Barcelona.Organizers say new dates for those races “cannot be confirmed until it becomes clearer when exactly it will be possible to hold the events.”___The president of the Spanish soccer league says he is not contemplating returning to action before the end of May.center_img Associated Press The Latest: Italian and Catalan MotoGP races postponed The KBO announced last month that it was postponing the start of its season but that it still hoped to maintain a 144-game regular-season schedule. It then said it could ban spectators from games when infection risks were high.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6last_img read more

Salkute excels in 2-position role for Syracuse volleyball

first_imgSyracuse was without two of its three outside hitters at the start of the season.Nicolette Serratore, last year’s second-best offensive threat, was hurt before the start of preseason and Valeriya Shaipova was still recovering from tearing her ACL early last year.With only one outside hitter left on the roster, SU head coach Leonid Yelin had to make adjustments.“Sometimes you make (a) decision not because you’re smart but because you have no choice,” Yelin said. “We need another outside hitter. We can’t play with one hitter.”He turned to junior middle blocker Monika Salkute to fill the hole. Her change in positions has developed her into one of the team’s top scoring threats.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textThough she had only played middle blocker, the position she’s played since her early childhood, Salkute has used her experience with SU (7-7) and skills she learned playing beach volleyball to play as a right-side hitter and middle blocker.“I’m trying to be a player who just helps the team to be better like in any case,” Salkute said.  “It’s just like I can play whatever (Yelin) feels like I can be the best.”Salkute played on the left side in preseason as the outside hitter. Even though she put up the numbers the team needed, Yelin said, the spot wasn’t the right fit for her.So he moved her to the right side, where she has excelled.Over the past five games, she has led the Orange with 70 kills. Her best performance was a 20-kill showing in a four-set win over Cornell on Sept. 21. She totaled twice as many points as the next-highest scorer in the match.Salkute is second on the team in kills and digs with 156 and 130, respectively.  She has more kills and nearly twice as many digs than she had all of last season in less than half the amount of total sets played.“I think she just stepped up in the moment when (the) team needed,” outside hitter Silvi Uattara said.She’s brought the tempo she’s used to in the middle into her new role in the back row.The back row usually gets slower and higher sets. But Salkute, even when she plays on the back row, receives quicker sets from her teammates and returns the ball before the defense has time to set up.“She’s not hitting as powerful like Silvi, for instance, but just because it’s set so fast and she’s hitting fast it’s less time to react on the back row,” Yelin said.The hardest part about the transition, Salkute said, has been blocking. The player on the outside has to pick where to block, which has been difficult for her. But she has been using her experience playing for the national beach volleyball team in her home country of Lithuania to help.“You have to read the player  — read his arm — like kind (of) predict one step ahead where he will hit so that help me a lot like in beach and to show this in the court,” Salkute said.The initial read has to be even better in beach volleyball, Yelin said, because the players can’t move as quickly in the sand.Though blocking is one of the best parts of Salkute’s game, Yelin said, she cited it as an area in which she needs to improve.In Salkute’s place, freshman Leah Levert has played at middle blocker. Though she’s played well, Yelin said she isn’t ready for the full-time job. For now, Salkute plays both positions in different rotations.Had the team been healthy at the start of the season, Yelin said he would not have moved Salkute.“I would feel crazy. ‘Why you doing this?’” he said.But now that he’s seen her play on the right side, he doesn’t want to move her back.Said Yelin: “She can see like maybe that’s her future … playing professionally.” Comments Published on September 30, 2014 at 12:01 am Contact Jon: jrmettu[email protected] | @jmettus Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more