Lawyer for several journalists and cyberdissidents banned from practising for one year

first_img China: Political commentator sentenced to eight months in prison ChinaAsia – Pacific China’s Cyber ​​Censorship Figures RSF_en News June 2, 2021 Find out more Democracies need “reciprocity mechanism” to combat propaganda by authoritarian regimes Receive email alerts April 27, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on China Organisation to go further ChinaAsia – Pacific News News March 4, 2005 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Lawyer for several journalists and cyberdissidents banned from practising for one year Reporters Without Borders expressed dismay at the hounding of lawyer, Guo Guoting, after a Shanghai court on 4 March banned him from practising for one year for “anti-constitutional speeches and acts”.Urging Shanghai’s justice department to review its decision, the worldwide press freedom organisation said the ban would deny several journalists and dissidents currently in prison of their fundamental right to be defended. Guoting (picture) appeared at a hearing that lasted less than an hour, in the company of his lawyer, Wei Ru-Jiu. The suspension was announced at the end of the hearing and he immediately said he would appeal.The authorities accused Guoting of “on several occasions adopting positions and making statements contrary to the law and the Constitution” of China. They showed him a number of articles posted online which Gouting accepted he had written. After the hearing, Guoting said it was an “unjustified official punishment”. Wei Ru-Jiu told Reporters Without Borders that the ruling was “illegal”.Guoting had contributed an article to the website of the magazine Epoch Times on 16 February, in which he explained why he had defending a member of the Falungong spiritual movement, Qu Yanlai, imprisoned near Shanghai.Guoding, also known as Thomas Guo, is one of very few Chinese lawyers prepared to defend journalists and cyberdissidents. He recently took on the cases of dissident journalist Yang Tianshui, just released after a month in prison in Hangzhou in the southeast. He also accepted the cases of journalist Shi Tao, whose trial for “divulging state secrets abroad” is to be held behind closed doors in Changsha on 7 March and of cyberdissident, Huang Jinqiu, sentenced to 12 years in prison in 2004. Help by sharing this information News Reporters Without Borders expressed dismay after a court banned lawyer Guo Guoting from practising his profession for one year. The ruling denied several journalists and dissidents of their right to be defended, it said. The lawyer was accused of “anti-constitutional speeches and acts”. March 12, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Ellsworth/Sumner football keeps pace with MDI in tight preseason battle

first_img Ellsworth runners compete in virtual Boston Marathon – September 16, 2020 Bio Hospice volunteers help families navigate grief and find hope – September 12, 2020 Mike MandellMike Mandell is the sports editor at The Ellsworth American and Mount Desert Islander. He began working for The American in August 2016. You can reach him via email at [email protected] MPA approves golf, XC, field hockey, soccer; football, volleyball moved to spring – September 10, 2020center_img Latest posts by Mike Mandell (see all) BAR HARBOR — Hancock County’s first football game under the Friday night lights this year gave two rival schools one last chance to leave good preseason impressions.Whereas the visiting Ellsworth/Sumner Eagles returned the vast majority of the roster that led them to a historic playoff appearance last year, the Mount Desert Island Trojans brought a new head coach, brand-new uniforms and a relatively new group of freshmen and sophomores to the table. After four hard-fought quarters, both teams had established building blocks for the season to come.MDI edged Ellsworth/Sumner 28-27 on Friday in the latest showdown between the two teams in Bar Harbor. The exhibition game served as a final tune-up for both teams with the regular season set to begin this week.“It’s a weekly process with a lot of learning for every team this time of year, and it’s important to get that last good look of where you are building up to the season in a game situation,” MDI head coach Mark Arnold said. “I think if you ask both coaches, we’ll both say our teams showed growth.”This is placeholder textThis is placeholder textWith the teams agreeing not to use kickoffs, Ellsworth/Sumner got the ball first at its own 35-yard line. Five plays later, the Eagles took a 6-0 lead with 10 minutes, 24 seconds remaining in the first quarter when Javon Williams ran a quarterback bootleg around the right end and sprinted 48 yards to the end zone.MDI, though, was quick to respond. The Trojans drove all the way to Ellsworth/Sumner’s 4-yard line behind three big gains from senior running back Elijah Joyce, and the Trojans took a 7-6 lead with 8:23 left in the quarter with a touchdown run from starting quarterback Baylor Landsman and the first of four made extra points from kicker Alex Fernald.Mount Desert Island’s Elijah Joyce runs for a big gain as Ellsworth/Sumner’s Noah Hughes chases him down during the first half of a preseason high school football game Aug. 24 in Bar Harbor. MDI won the game 28-27. ELLSWORTH AMERICAN PHOTO BY MIKE MANDELLAfter Ellsworth/Sumner regained the lead with 4:46 left in the quarter, Joyce scored from 65 yards out on the very next play to put MDI ahead 14-13. MDI forced a defensive stop on the next series and stretched its lead to eight points when Joyce added a 32-yard touchdown run with 10:26 remaining in the half.Ellsworth/Sumner cut the deficit to 21-20 on another Williams touchdown run shortly after recovering a botched MDI snap, but the Trojans would respond again. With 4:53 remaining the half, Landsman found senior Coady Modeen for a 41-yard touchdown pass to make the score 28-20.“Baylor came out and made some big-time plays like that in this game and showed a lot of progress,” Arnold said. “Looking back on the time I’ve spent here at MDI, I’d say he’s about as developed as any quarterback we’ve had as a sophomore. He’s one of many guys who have put in a lot of time in the weight room.”With both sides switching to their second-team offenses in the second half, the scoring spree stalled. Ellsworth/Sumner scored the only points of the half when Dustin Dupert scored a running touchdown from 28 yards out with 2:11 left to play, but MDI’s offense ran out the clock on the ensuing possession to ice the win.Joyce ran for 202 yards on 10 carries to lead MDI, and Landsman completed three passes for 56 yards. Williams carried the ball nine times for 104 yards for Ellsworth/Sumner and completed two passes for 25 yards.“We made some mistakes on both sides of the ball, but that was what tonight was for: to get that out of our system,” Ellsworth/Sumner head coach Duane Crawford said. “I’d say we saw more good things than bad out there, and now we can focus on fixing the bad.”MDI’s performance, Arnold said, marked a significant improvement from the team’s showing in Waterville four days earlier. The young Trojans made a number of mistakes in that game, but Friday’s exhibition showing marked a big step forward.“The first time you into it with a number of kids with no varsity football experience, it’s going to be difficult,” Arnold said. “What we saw in this game is those guys coming back and getting better. They showed they improved on what the coaches have been stressing.”Both teams will kick off their regular seasons at home at 7 p.m. next Friday, Aug. 31. Ellsworth/Sumner will take on a Dexter team that defeated it in the first and last games of 2017, and MDI will battle Oceanside in a rematch of last season’s Class C North semifinal encounter.Bucksport beats BapstBucksport closed its preseason slate on a high note Friday when it defeated John Bapst 34-8 in Bangor.The Golden Bucks will open their regular season at home next Friday night when they take on Houlton at 7. The two teams last met in 2016 with Bucksport winning 39-8. Latest Postslast_img read more

Premier League to close transfer window before season

first_imgMesut Ozil and Shkodran Mustafi battle with Stock city player recently.London, United Kingdom | AFP | English Premier League clubs voted on Thursday to shut the 2018 close-season transfer window before the start of the 2018-19 campaign.Following complaints by managers that transfer activity disturbs their preparations, clubs will not be able to register new players after 1600 GMT on the Thursday before the season starts.The transfer window in Europe’s other major leagues runs until August 31, meaning clubs outside England could buy players from English top-flight teams after the new Premier League deadline.“Premier League clubs have today agreed to a rule amendment that will see the summer transfer window in any year end at 17:00 on the Thursday before the start of the season,” the Premier League said in a statement.“This is for Premier League clubs only and has no bearing on other leagues and competitions.”Europe’s other major leagues — Spain’s Liga, Italy’s Serie A, the German Bundesliga and France’s Ligue 1 — now face a decision about whether to fall into line with England.Juventus CEO Giuseppe Marotta says Serie A’s 20 clubs are in agreement to “set the end of the transfer window on July 31” in Italy.“The transfer window is exhausting,” he said recently. “It’s become a circus.”But the German league (DFL) said there was no clear consensus among the Bundesliga’s top clubs.“The theme of the transfer window – regardless of the decision of the Premier League – was on the agenda of today’s general meeting of sports representatives of the Bundesliga and the second Bundesliga at the DFL, and it became clear that there is no definitive opinion among the clubs,” said a DFL spokesman.Guardiola pose with his current signingsThe Premier League’s move was announced following a meeting of club officials and is not believed to have been agreed unanimously.– Wenger approval –Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger gave his backing to the decision before it was announced.“Even in the games, you sit there before the games and even in players’ minds they have no clarity,” he told reporters at his weekly press conference. “Are they in? Are they out? Are they half in? Are they half out? Are they tapped up in the afternoon of the game by people who want to get them out? It’s not the way to work and it’s uncomfortable.“Every single manager in the league would agree that it’s time to kick that out before the season starts and not continue to have players in the dressing room who are half out and half in.”England’s Football League — the second, third and fourth tiers — is not affected by the move.Premier League clubs spent a record £1.4 billion ($1.8 billion, 1.5 billion euros) on new players during the 2017 close-season window.The window closed last Thursday, three weeks after the new season had started.Chris Hughton, manager of newly-promoted Brighton and Hove Albion, welcomed the decision.“That is good news,” he said. “Most managers would say the same. You have a hectic enough time as it is preparing for the season.”Earlier this week, UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin gave his support to making the close-season player trading period shorter.Transfer windows were introduced by world governing body FIFA in 2002.In Europe they generally run from the start of June to the end of August, with a shorter mid-season window in January.RELATED VIDEO:Share on: WhatsApplast_img read more